ATEG Archives

June 2005

From:
David Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:41:58 -0700
Stylistic Devices - Litotes
form of understatement

Litotes is a form of understatement which uses the denied
opposite of a word to weaken or soften a message.

Examples:

That's not bad. (instead of: That's good/great.)
Boats aren't easy to find in the dark. (4) (instead of:
Boats are hard/difficult to find in the dark.)
see also: &#8594; Understatement

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:23:52 -0600
  Gordon Hultberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> You are looking for "litotes" (my mnemonic, perhaps not
>technically quite accurate, way of recalling this is
>"Negation of the opposite")--Hawthorne and Austen use
>them frequently, of those authors I teach regularly.
>

> At 12:08 PM 06/21/2005, you wrote:
>>Hello All,
>>Hope you're enjoying a wonderful summer.  A friend
>>asked me for the name of a negative like Jane Austen
>>uses:  "It was not impossible" versus "It was
>>possible."
>>Thank you,
>>Mary Murray
>>

>>__________________________________
>>Yahoo! Mail Mobile
>>Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile
>>phone.
>>http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
>>
>>To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the
>>list's web interface at:
>>      http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html
>>and select "Join or leave the list"
>>
>>Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/
>
> To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the
>list's web interface at:
> and select "Join or leave the list"

Peace,

David