ATEG Archives

August 2010

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2010 21:37:37 -0400
Thanks to Bill for the corpus search.  I've copied below the OED entry for "keep it up," tracing it back to the early 16th c.

1513 MORE in Grafton Chron. (1568) II. 778 For his dissimulation onely kept all that mischiefe up. 1711 STEELE Spect. No. 51 {page}2 The Difficulty of keeping up a sprightly Dialogue for five Acts together. 1752 J. MILLWARD Let. in M. M. Verney Verney Lett. (1930) II. II. xxxiv. 250 When they [sc. the Welsh] get in liquor they are very troublesome and noisy. They kept it up all night. 1781 Hist. Eur. in Ann. Reg. 16/1 Continual firing..was kept up during the day. 1788 GROSE Dict. Vulgar T. (ed. 2), To keep it up, to prolong a debauch. We kept it up finely last night; metaphor drawn from the game at shuttlecock. 1801 C. KEITH Har'st Rig. & Farmer's Ha' (ed. 2) 62 Clear-blooded health..flees awa' frae keeping 't up, and midnight riot. 1810 M. VAN H. DWIGHT Journey to Ohio (1912) 16 The men dress much better{em}they put on their best cloaths on sunday,..& 'keep it up' as they call it. 1837 DICKENS Pickw. lii. 565 We were keeping it up pretty tolerably at the Stump last night, and I'm rather out of sorts this morning. 1869 FREEMAN Norm. Conq. III. xiv. 367 The fight is kept up till night-fall. 1874 L. TROUBRIDGE Life amongst Troubridges (1966) 76 There were forty-six people and we kept it up till one... I had several good valses. 1890 Lippincott's Mag. Jan. 11 He and I have kept up a correspondence. 1958 A. HUXLEY Let. 11 Jan. (1969) 842 Thank you for your long and very interesting letter{em}written, too, in the most wonderfully black ink... Keep it up!

A couple of interesting usages and a pithy comment on the Welsh.

Herb