ATEG Archives

June 2005

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:27:10 -0700
Craig,

"Describing" is exactly what you are talking about. Descriptive
discourse linguistics describes HOW speakers and writers achieve
coherence, information flow, and all that important stuff by noting
which forms are consistently used to accomplish these objectives. There
are many sorts of descriptive linguistics: structuralism was one,
generative linguistics as founded by Chomsky is one, cognitive
linguistics is one, and discourse analysis is one, as are systemics and
Dutch-style functionalism.

An ongoing debate within linguistics is description vs. explanation.
The ultimate goal of linguistic theory is to do both. I am, perhaps,
glossing over the explanatory qualities of cognitive and discourse
linguistics. There is a strong explanatory element. One tiny example is
the principle of iconicity I mentioned in my last post. Humans respond
well when a form can be perceived as similar to or mimicking a
function. Hence the tendency in every language to put modifiers inside
constituent phrases with their heads. A computer can easily be
programmed to interpret the following:

1. Bring me the shirt, pants, tie, jacket, and socks blue, cream,
paisley, dark blue, white.

As

2. Bring me the white shirt, dark blue pants, paisley tie, cream
jacket, and blue socks.

All you have to do is program the computer to assign the words after
the last noun to the nouns in reverse order. Humans have not invented
syntax of the type in 1. because our brains do not do as well with that
kind of processing as they do with iconic structure. The color of an
item is an intimate part of that item, so putting the words for the
item and its color close together easily symbolizes the relation.

What you want is explanation, and that's the term I should be using.
Prescriptive grammar does provide some explanations -- iconicity and
ambiguity avoidance are good reasons to avoid misplaced modifiers. But
they don't go as deep into the reasons for a rule. Unfortunately, many
of their explanations are unsound (such as illogic and double
negatives), and some rules have no explanation from within the language
(split infinitive prohibition).

Descriptive linguistics (with the explanations it provides) CAN win. As
to fragments, there are easy explanations. But I have something to do,
so maybe I can give those another time.

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel.: 805.756.2184
Dept. Ofc. Tel.: 805.756.2596
Dept. Fax: 805.756.6374