ATEG Archives

August 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 2009 21:38:21 -0400
Herb,

I'm going to try to tease out a distinction here, although I'm not sure it's a vital one -- I'm curious about the limits on applying the term 'hypercorrection', and this has some bearing on that. The preservation of -r between vowels is one kind of phenomenon, and the "spread" of -r to intervocalic environments in which it did not originally occur might be considered another. The latter is dependent on the former, of course, but it would have been possible for -r to be preserved but not spread (so, for example, "butter an' bread" vs. "Africa 'n' Asia"). Similarly, it would be possible for the -r to spread to *all* word-final intervocalic positions (or some well-defined subset).

A generation growing up hearing -- and producing -- a "100% spread" version wouldn't be doing something I'd want to call hypercorrecting. Their production would be completely independent of any linguistic insecurity. But *if* the spread is variable (either across words, or across contexts), and if it's taking place in a context in which -r-dropping is stigmatized, some of the instances of rule inversion could also be a kind of hypercorrection.

That may be stretching the definition of hypercorrection too far, though, and it may be focusing on a stage that doesn't exist anymore in areas like Boston (which I don't know enough about). I grew up in an area in which South Midland (r-ful) abuts Coastal Southern (r-dropping), so I've heard a large amount of variation and little that approaches a "100% spread" scenerio.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University