ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
JEFF GLAUNER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:52:32 -0500
Noguchi's book is the best there is at winnowing down aspects of writing to
those that respond to grammatical input.  I find, however, that students
need to have a conversational knowledge of grammatical structure before his
approach works very well.  That is, they must be able to identify major
sentence constituents and provide some sort of nomenclature for them in
order for the teacher and student to have a common language with which to
apply the principles of Noguchi's minimalist grammar.

That is why I recommend a simplified phrase-structure grammar as a partner
to the Noguchi grammar.  With careful planning, such a grammar can be taught
using little classroom time.  (I recommend a cap of 10 minutes per school
day.)  It works well in a whole language classroom environment.  The key is
that it needs to be started early, as early as first grade (subject,
predicate, noun phrase, verb), and cycled regularly at increasing levels of
sophistication through elementary and secondary school.

With just a thumbnail sketch of systematic grammar in students' minds,
minimalist grammar (Noguchi, Weaver) are marvelous tools for use in the
writing classroom.

Jeff Glauner
Park University