ATEG Archives

January 2000

From:
Robert Einarsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:14:47 -0700
>What is a good nutshell reply to
> the "rolled eyes" response that English teachers give us when we advocate
> teaching about the language? What do I say when I hear this: But the state
> exam doesn't count much for grammar. It isn't on the rubric.

Possible one liners:

"The curriculum currently does not provde students and teachers
with a mutual vocabulary for talking about the writing process at the
sentence level"  (paraphrase of Kolln "Miss Fidditch")

"Even the opponents of grammar still advocate grammar, just under
a more contemporary classroom methodology.  An example of this
is Connie Weaver's Grammar in Context."

Wish I could stay to  come up with more and better

Robert E.