ATEG Archives

April 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:44:55 -0400
Herb,
    Structures are, of course, an inevitable aspect of language. Meaning
is formal and form is meaningful, so you can approach that dynamic
relation from either direction. But when the primary interest is in
"how do we classify X," the weight seems to shift away from meaning
(especially if meaning includes interpersonal meaning and the
construction of discourse.) Grammaticalization can be thought of as
indicating that grammar is emergent and dynamic. Grammar changes for
the same reason that vocabulary changes, because we find it useful to
do so in a dynamic, changing world. Language, of course, requires a
good bit of stability, and grammar is inevitably more stable than the
lexicon. But that doesn't mean it is well understood as a system of
fixed forms.
   Predicate adjective and predicate nominal are terms I remember from my
own schooling, and I found them useful at the time because they
directed attention to the fact that the adjective and nominal modified
or renamed the subject. They didn't have a term for predicate adverbial
(as in "My house is on the ocean"), but that's a side issue. Similarly,
the term "object complement," for adjective or noun (not adverial,
again a mistake) highlights the fact that the adjective or noun phrase
modifies or renames the object IN THE SAME WAY A PREEDICATE ADJECTIVE
OR NOMINATIVE MODIFES OR RENAMES THE SUBJECT. So Odile's question might
be rephrased as "wouldn't it be useful to give them the same name?"
    Later in my explorations of language, I came to respect the objection
that these are all complements of the verb because it's not the
subject or object that licenses them, but the verb. "Mary is a bright
woman" and "Mary knows a bright woman" differ in their grammar
precisely because of the selection of verb.
    Verbs are copular when they take a copular complement, which>can
describe, rename, or locate the subject (in space or time.) Verbs are
complex transitive when they bring into focus the qualities, identity,
or location as somehow brought about. You can say that they construe
the experience differently.
    Mary is bright. Mary is a bright woman.
    Good parents and good schools made Mary bright. Good parents and good
schools made Mary a bright woman.
    Both tell what Mary is like. One adds how she came to be that way.
    It's more complicated, of course, because words like "consider,"
"imagine," and "believe" hedge the certainty in the complex transitive
construction, but "seems," "appears," and "looks" do the same in a
more straightforward copular sentence. "I believe Mary bright" or
"teachers consider Mary bright" are not expressing certainty.
   It seems to me that this sort of attention is more useful. These
choices allow us to construe experience flexibly.

Craig

Craig,