ATEG Archives

November 1999

From:
"Wollin, Edith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 08:49:47 -0800
Actually, Martha, the absolute phrases are used more than one might imagine.
When I taught Strong's Crafting Cumulative Sentences in a comp class, I had
the students look at essays to find the patterns that we had been learning
and and we often found one absolute per paragraph in what some people call
creative essays--I remember that Annie Dillard was one of the authors--I
also hear them from weather men/people and once in a while on NPR.

Edith