ATEG Archives

September 2005

From:
"Kischner, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:47:25 -0700
I agree that it can be useful to distinguish words that modify verbs from words that modify adjectives and adverbs. There's the additional advantage that students can then use the "verb" in "adverb" as a mnemonic for what adverbs modify.

But let us not exaggerate the awfulness of the traditional terminology.  When I learned it in school a long time ago, "adverbs modify verbs, adjectives, and other adverbs" seemed quite manageable and even came to have its own little rhythm in the memory, like person, place -- oh God, let's not go there!