ATEG Archives

May 2005

From:
Jeff Wiemelt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 May 2005 08:57:29 -0500
Jan, I recall that what felt compelling to me about that claim, back when I
was a comp/rhet grad student, is that spending time pushing grammatical
information toward our students can be harmful _if it takes significant time
away from the business of actually writing_. Fifteen years later, I still
have no problem with that claim. But a couple of qualifications.

First, we ought to admit the same may be true of our attempts to simply
"push information" toward our students about anything, including information
about the writing process, about research, about documentation formats, and
so on. No one develops as a writer by having information pushed at them. We
develop as writers by writing. Anything that takes much time away from the
actual activity of writing can be "harmful" in this sense. Why we've limited
this claim to grammar, I have no idea.

Second, I want to be clear that I'm all for integrating focused discussions
of language and grammar into our students writing activities. But I mean
that word "integrating" very literally. If our talk about grammar is to have
any positive impact on our students' development as writers, then I think we
need to be teaching a "writerly" grammar, one that's sensitive to the
rhetorical concerns for audience, purpose, voice, development, and so
on--the kinds of things writers actually think about as they write. Now I'm
just not enough of a grammarian to advise anyone about what counts as a
"writerly grammar." But I do know that when I read things like Martha's
_Rhetorical Grammar_, or Ed Schuster's _Breaking the Rules_, or Joseph
Williams' _Style_ books, I feel like those folks are reaching much closer to
my own writerly bones in the approaches they take. Actually, I like that
word I just used--"approach." Maybe then a "writerly grammar" isn't really
so much about basic content as basic approach. Maybe the more productive
approach is not to start with the grammar, then ask how it can be used, but
to start with what it is a writer wants to accomplish, then ask what
resources the language provides to do it.

Jeff

Dr. Jeff Wiemelt
Associate Professor, English
Director, SLU Writing Center