ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Connie Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:56:20 -0400
Wow!  You and I do see some things from a nearly opposite perspective, Ed.  You
seem to subscribe to a behaviorist school of learning, judging by your comments on
teaching grammar.  I, on the other hand, subscribe to a constructivist view, with
learners needing varying amounts of direct instruction in order to construct
concepts (like the concept of "sentence") for themselves.  This difference, I
think, at least partly explains why you don't see child language acquisition
research as relevant, while Johanna and I do.  I'm confident we could demonstrate
that children in schools where grammar isn't taught at all continue to use
increasingly sophisticated syntactic structures, if they read a lot, and if they
read varied material (not just all the books in the Hardy Boys series, for
instance). In fact, I have some informal evidence on that, but not enough to write
up as qualitative research.

This fall, I think I'll do a teacher-researcher kind of project.  The first night
of the semester, I'll have students in my Grammar for Teachers class write a short
story in response to a chosen picture from a picturebook, The Mysteries of Harris
Burdick (the book has one intriguing picture per page, plus a possible story
starter).  Then, at the end of the semester, I'll have the class write in response
to another picture from the book, after having worked with Harry Noden's Image
Grammar for several weeks.  Could be interesting, even though it would be an
extremely limited "study."

Connie Weaver
Western Michigan University