ATEG Archives

January 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2011 21:00:01 -0500
Bruce,
    When more than one element is making the time sequence clear, it may
be difficult to signal one as the "redundant" one. The redundancy
would have to include all the elements, I think, though the second or
third might be thought of as the first option for editing.
   "My children could watch TV when they did their homework." This sounds
like bad practice. The default reading would be that they could do both
at the same time.
    "My children could watch TV when they had done their homework." Much
better parenting going on. The past perfect makes the sequence clear.
    "My children could do their homework, then watch TV." Sequence is
clear in this version without the perfect aspect.
    "After they had finished their homework, my children could watch TV."
Here we have much redundancy, but I suspect most of us would find it
highly acceptable. All the different choices are working toward the
same goal, a very clear parenting decision to make TV watching
contingent on the homework being done.
   I think any description of the past perfect needs to think of it as
working in harmony with other options for making time relations clear.

Craig >

 After I had finished the book, I returned it to the library = I finished
> the book sometime in the past; then I returned the book to the library
> after that time.

 After I finished the book, I returned it to the
> library = I finished the book sometime in the past; I returned the book to
> the library after that time.

 The time sequence of the clauses in the
> two sentences is interpreted identically.  The perfect aspect in the first
> example is just as redundant as the "then" conjunction in the paraphrase.
> In most writing such simplicity is to be praised.  The context may suggest
> that the sequence of tenses be made more explicit, hence, the redundancy
> may sometimes be favored by some.

 What does this sentence mean: After I had finished the book, I
> returned it to the library?

 What does this sentence mean: After I
> finished the book, I returned it to the library?

 Trying to understand.

 From: Craig Hancock