ATEG Archives

December 2009

From:
Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:41:18 -0500
Well, yes, of course . . . but more typically, it seems that we English
teachers are the ones who are stuck explaining why ">1 acceptable
answer" ≠ "every answer is right."   How nice to watch the math folks
take their turn.

Beth

>>> Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]> 12/14/2009 12:22 PM >>>
It is in the nature of the decimal number system to have two ways to
represent the same value.  It hardly makes every number equal to every
other number.  In English we represent the same letter of the alphabet
in either upper or lower case renderings.  This hardly makes every
letter equal to every other one.  Philosophers often fall into the trap
of using a particular expression to speak of one thing, and then
imperceptibly shifting to speak of something else using the same
expression.  It will cause confusion, but as Lincoln is said to have
said, even if you call the tail a leg, a dog still has four legs.