ATEG Archives

August 2010

From:
David Kehe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:24:15 -0700
I have found an inductive approach to be the most effective with Gen 1.5 students since, for many of them, that is how they "learned" English.  Most of them are "ear-learners" and have formulated their own rules after hearing input.  Unfortunately, their rules are often incorrect.  One student wrote in an essay, "He didn't found his money yesterday."  When I asked her why she wrote "found," she said that she wasn't actually sure that it was correct, but she decided that since it happened in the past, she should use "found," but she also was wondering if she should have used "finds" since the subject is "He."  Then I asked her which of these sentences seemed correct to her:

-He didn't went to the store.

-He didn't go to the store.

-She didn't take the bus.

-She didn't took the bus.

She was able to identify the correct sentences.  Then, looking back at her sentence and using the sample sentences as a guideline, she was able to correct the verb.

Unfortunately, because they are ear-learners, what they have learned incorrectly has often become fossilized.  A student once wrote, "He avoided drive at night" and couldn't believe that "drive" should be "driving."  (When he heard sentences with avoid, he probably hadn't heard the -ing clearly enough so that he could catch it and then use it correctly on his own.)   He asked me if I was sure because to him, it sounded strange.

At our college, instructors tried to teach these Gen 1.5 students using a deductive approach whereby a rule is given and the students are asked to apply the rule in exercises.  This approach was found to be ineffective.  As a result, a few years ago, two colleagues and I received a grant from Washington state to see if we could improve the grammar in essays of these types of students by using their strengths to help them "learn" grammar.  We developed materials that used an inductive approach, and we included some listening activities and some group activities as reinforcement.  After working with a grammar point, they applied it in a writing assignment.  At the end of the quarter, we found a significant improvement in the grammar in their essays.

I'm not trying to do a self-promotion here, but these materials are available in my book, The Grammar Review Book.

David Kehe

Bellingham, WA