ATEG Archives

October 2004

From:
"Muller, Barbara" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:09:06 -0600
Thanks.  I wondered if I was missing something here.  I've taught a
sophomore-level grammar class for many years, mostly from Martha Kolln's
Understanding English Grammar, and I've habitually used become as something
of a prototypical (not an "acceptable" linguistic term, most likely, but it
works for those of us in the community college trenches) linking verb.
Quite seriously--sarcasm and (paltry) attempted humor aside--my students
find it useful.

Again--thanks.  Many of us who teach (many-per-term) comp courses, soph
grammar courses, and soph survey lit courses find ourselves at a loss for
time to do standard research--at least, that is, if we desire any kind of
life outside our professional sphere. I do; I'm near retirement, I love my
job, I love my family and other (primarily horticultural)interests, and I'm
old enough to understand that time must be apportioned and appreciated--not
taken for granted.  I also find language utterly fascinating; I think it
would be hard to continue in this profession--especially with the course
loads many of us have carried for years--if we didn't find it fascinating.
And--to continue as I began before I interrupted myself with a tangent--this
listserv is very useful and productive as food for thought, in place of
(and, I'm sure, as a supplement to) the kind of research I once believed I
would be able to do. Maybe in another life....

'Scuse the verbosity.  I'd flunk (or at least admonish) a 101 student for
going off like this.

Barbara Muller

  _____