ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 22:23:34 -0700
I don't know what the "linguistic roots" to this usage are, but I doubt that
it's limited to the "hills." It seems to me that it is quite common
throughout the country. It appears in a very clearly New York City-ish
environment in Arthur Miller's _Death of A Salesman_ (final scene,
"Requiem."). When I taught this play to my Asian ESL students of years ago,
they always wondered if it was a printing error!

Paul E. Doniger