ATEG Archives

June 2004

From:
Larry Beason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:28:12 -0500
Craig,
That's an exellent point about the actor/agent being out of the
equation, as well as the parallel btwn my 'worth' example and the
ergative.

I should clarify my disappointment.  It is indeed true that
traditional, formal grammar doesn't cover all actual uses of English
(especially if we consider informal speech).  My disappointment, though,
is that my 'worth' example indicates a shortcoming in grammar I haven't
noted before.

 I think critics of textbook grammar (or any grammar) sometimes
exaggerate the number of structures that cannot be clearly accounted for
by traditional grammatical analyses.  So I'm just a bit disappointed the
'worth' example seems to be one such instance.  Actually, as you and
Bruce have pointed out, there are various ways to account for the
structure, though the problem with this structure does seem to come back
to the somewhat idiosyncratic nature of "worth."

Larry

-------------------------------
Larry Beason
Director of Composition
Dept. of English, Univ. of South Alabama
Mobile, AL 36688
251-460-7861
-------------------------------

>>> [log in to unmask] - 6/24/04 1:14 PM >>>
Larry,
    One important reason "This book costs a dollar" cannot be made
passive is that the actor or agent is out of the equation.  In other
words, the book isn't doing something to a dollar or acting in such a
way that the dollar is an affected participant.  Interestingly enough,
if we do introduce that agent, "a dollar" does become the object
complement you suspected might be there all along.  "The publisher
priced the book a dollar."  The passive version of this would be "The
book was priced a dollar."  A better parallel to "worth" might be
"valued", which, again, brings into possible play a person or entity
who
creates the worth or value.  "He valued the book a dollar."  "The book
was valued a dollar." "Value" has both a noun and verb form, as does
"cost," but "worth" is only noun or adjective.  We can imagine a
potential verb use of "worth": "He worthed the book a dollar," but we
do
have other forms for accommodating that meaning; perhaps that's the
main
reason we haven't felt a need for it. In this imaginary sentence, "a
dollar" does look much like object complement, but the object is
"book",
not "worth."
    I'll resist going into detail, but English does give us something
called "ergative" clauses, ones in which the receiver of the action is
in subject role without the sentence being passive. His shirt tore.
The
window shattered.  The fields dried up.  And so on. The book costs a
dollar, would fit that pattern, but I would call "The book is worth a
dollar" copular, with "is" as linking verb and "worth a dollar" as its
complement. We suspect that it is "worth" that to somebody, but the
statement presents it as though it is a universal given and not a
human
judgment.
    Traditional grammar does give us the expectation that language is
neat and clean and easily characterized, but it usually does so by
controlling the kinds of examples. Real world language will always
give
us reasons for challenging this.  If we look at these forms as
functional, then this kind of flexibility is more asset than
liability.
 In other words, language flexes when it needs to, perhaps because a
life is at stake or an important new meaning seems to elude the old
ways
of saying things. (OK, all originality isn't good, but the possibility
of it is.) Language is  under no more obligation to follow our rules
about it than is life obliged to follow the rules of biology, which
doesn't at all lessen the importance of biology as a human activity.
We
have the equivalent of egg laying mammals.We shouldn't be disappointed
when we find them.

Craig