ATEG Archives

June 2007

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:19:28 -0400
>Peter,
   You are describing a very thoughtful writing class. Like all of us, I'm
sure it's a work in progress. You are a dedicated and caring teacher,
and that comes through. By all means, follow your current line of
thinking and see where it leads you. Keep us posted.
   The authors of the Longman grammar are Douglas Biber, Susan Conrad, and
Geoffrey Leach. 2002. The publisher, of course, is Longman.
   Direct objects do become relevant when we talk about making something
passive. Transitivity is also very important in ESL because a person
new to the language might say "she looked the bird" or "She needed
badly".  You'd be surprised at how useful a term like "mental process"
can be, but I'll leave it at that. I would make a great case for
subordinating conjunction as a very easy term to teach. (More than half
of our graduates are going on to professional careers. They will have
technical terminology in every course they take. If they do heart
surgery, I hope they know "aorta").  The problem is they have been
taught writing by many teachers who avoided the term, and they still
don't seem to know the concept. Make it easy on the next teacher. If
they don't have a working knowledge of the term, do they really know
it? The language theory I am reading now says no.
   I agree that we need a much better handbook. Let me know if you want
any advice on what you are doing along the way. It's on my to do list
as well, but I keep getting sidetracked into other projects. I think we
are better off with more than one alternative handbook. I think we may
tip the scales with a few thoughtful versions.
   The Scope and Sequence project will lay out knowledge about language in
relation to different goals. One is Standard English. One is the
conventions that come with putting language into a written form
(punctuation being the most important.) The third would be rhetorical
choice. And the fourth would be meeting the special demands of the
technical disciplines. Our postion, I guess, is that these are not just
BEHAVIORS. We are not just trying to correct how they act, but trying
to deepen their understanding to the point where they can do what we
do, which is to make careful and productive and thoughtful choices in a
wide range of contexts. So correctness is very much within our sights.
We simply want to know what knowledge about language will bring it
about. It certainly doesn't have to be either/or.
   I believe Rei Noguchi would embrace our knowledge based project, though
that's on the basis of a very interesting talk I had with him a few
years back. It was his feeling at the time that English teachers would
never embrace a full knowledge based approach to grammar. He developed
a few ways in which we can tap into the unconscious knowledge already
there. But I don't think that is a final solution to anything, and it
may even make the problem worse because it suggests that minimalist
approaches are enough for the great majority of our students. It more
or less enables our current teachers to avoid accountabilty on this
issue. It doesn't get to a deeper solution of our current problems,
among them a crisis of ignorance (lack of knowledge) among our English
teachers.
   I share the goals of progressive educators, but I think I would accept
your judgement that they are not accomplishing what a progressive
educator should accomplish, opening the doors of access (and power) to
many who have not succeeded in the past. That's my job, and I am doing
it well (though not well enough yet) and doing it well has involved a
lot more attention to language than I was trained for. I have had to go
against the grain of my profession to help the students I am helping.
And now I am trying to use that hard earned wisdom to change the
thinking in my field.
   Our most needy students, by the way, will take a non-credit course in
the fall centered on a language awareness curriculum. They will explore
their own language worlds,and will read and write about bilingualism,
English only, Black English, and so on. The teacher currently teaching
the course will retire after this fall, so I will get to teach it again
next year, and I am looking forward to that. We do quite a bit of
grammar along with this language exploration. Students coming out of
that course know an awful lot more than the average college student.

Craig

Craig