ATEG Archives

May 2011

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2011 18:00:28 +0000
Bob,

Most extant theories of language provide an explanation of why that sentence is ambiguous (I'm not sure whether to read your "A formal theory of language..." as restrictive or not). I'm sure there is a theory somewhere that completely rejects the notion of hierarchical element grouping, but I doubt it gets out much. There are a number of theories that reject the idea that hierarchical element grouping is specific to a language faculty, arguing instead that humans do this kind of thing in a lot of domains, but that's a different issue.

So, yes, there are theories that try to account for exactly what you're talking about -- they do so by discussing grammatical/rhetorical relationships above the sentence level, and by not assuming an *essential* distinction between grammar and pragmatics. I don't know of any of these that would claim a single sentence, without any context, is effective, however. What looks like an effective one-liner is effective because of its context, not because of the absence of such. A deliberately contextually-weird one-liner used as a comedic opening (e.g., starting a routine with the single sentence, "However, no" followed by a silence) operates by taking as context people's expectations that the speaker will follow standard maxims of conversation, a la Grice.

For your specific example, we just need to start by positing that, when speakers encounter a sentence that can be read multiple ways, at some level they assign interpretations (including structural info) for all the possible readings, with the readings being in competition. In many, if not most cases, one reading will be strongly supported by previous context/text, while other readings will be hampered; the reading with the most support and least "suppression" will "win" (network theories, for example, usually discuss things functioning in this way). Our conscious perception of ambiguity is usually triggered by a context in which two or more of the interpretations are running neck-and-neck.

In your pair of examples, the first sentence has multiple readings, at least two of which remain in contention. Absent strongly-predispositive previous context (and this kind of joke tends to rely, as part of its setup, on an immediately previous topic shift), the weirdness of elephant-in-pajamas imagery suppresses the adj-PP reading. The second sentence strongly supports the adj-PP reading, though, reversing the original weighting. This is how a lot of humor works, and as a prerequisite for dealing with it analytically, we need to be able to talk about how a sentence can be "about" previously-existing expectations, be they from immediately prior linguistic input (as in your example), or from social norms ("So, I found out that when you're taking a test on classroom management, saying that you'd put the kids in Velcro vests so you could stick them to carpet patches on the wall probably isn't a good idea"). In short, you need a view in which it's elephants all the way up.

--- Bill Spruiell