ATEG Archives

May 2012

From:
Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2012 13:05:24 +0100
Dear Dick,

Justifiably I cannot resist calling your attention to my last two books,
'Narrative, Perception, Language, and Faith' (Macmillan, 2005) and
'Avatar-Philosophy (and -Religion) or FAITHEISM' (Imprint Academic, 2011)
since one can say that, for both, the central theme is play -- in
particular, understanding what real play is.  You can tell from the title of
the first that its presence lies across human life.

I take the Joke as exemplary of play.  To undertake a joke you have first to
establish in the hearer a false context for the word whose ambiguity you are
going to trade on;  once established, you then proceed to indicate another
context which induces a gestalt-switch on the first meaning.  Similarly in
the Statement, you and your hearer begin with a presumed -- thus, imagined
-- perfect match on the 'referent' of the logical subject (often not the
grammatical subject), but the hearer is ready to have that reference updated
(in the logical predicate).  This matches play, as Gregory Bateson argued
('Steps to the Ecology of Mind' Paladin, 1978):  when young chimpanzees
play, an apparent attack on a sibling includes a countervailing clue in a
distinct type of 'playful grin' that cancels the aggression.  So one has to
have agreed rules before one can update them.  We teachers have to establish
what the rules are at the same time we show how they have to be updated if
anyone is to talk successfully at all.

You make a good point about 'more'.  My guess is that, since, in our world
full of bargaining (and the deceits that sometimes attend it), trouble over
'more' occurred LESS than than trouble over 'less' and 'fewer', redundancy
was and is needed.

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright
3 Boathouse Court