ATEG Archives

February 2007

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:28:58 -0500
Cynthia,

I think it's a matter of register.  "Scared", the past participle, is used widely in a casual, colloquial register instead of the more formal "afraid".  It's not that "scared" can't be an adjective.  Like many other participles it functions in both verbal and adjectival ways.  However, "afraid" is the more formal register word that you want them to learn.  If it's explained in terms of levels of formality rather than of parts of speech, they may pick up the difference more easily, particularly since part of speech explanations tend to demand more knowledge of grammar than a lot of our students have.

Herb