ATEG Archives

August 2010

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2010 20:54:10 -0400
You're right, Brett.  These uses of pronoun case go way back into Middle English.  Our sense in Formal Standard English today that pronoun forms are, or should be, case-governed is an 18th c. construct when rules of English grammar were formulated along the lines of Latin grammar.  Those rules weren't an accurate representation of English pronoun use in the 18th c. any more than they would have been five centuries earlier or two and a half later.   But they are requirements of Formal Standard English today.

Herb