ATEG Archives

February 2007

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 16:19:01 -0500
>Peter,
   Error is very complex, and the notion of register often comes into play
in places where we wouldn't think about "error".
   Rewriting is like a dimmer switch, not an on/off one.
   If students think they can rewrite by improving or correcting the
words, they will never learn to write. We make the choices on the basis
of an evolving meaning. The most important studies have shown exactly
this difference in the approaches of raw versus seasoned writers.
Inexperienced writers try to improve the words. Experienced writers
work on the meanings.
   As a field, we should err on the side of inclusiveness and
functionality. Lots of what you call "error" may very well be the
places where meaning is undeveloped or confusing or lost or where the
student has not yet become comfortable with the tools available to a
writer. Knowledge about lanaguage is a useful adjunct to this. In a
sense, error is what we do when we write, but I think the better
writers tend to look at what is working and build from there.
   Grammar is not a neutral conveyor. I think we can pay a great deal of
attention to it without conveying the sense that students need to
talk/write like members of a different social class to be accepted.
   There may be more effective ways of getting students ready to face
other people's prejudices than simply enforcing them on our own.
   But I respect the minefield you are walking through. We need to address
this communally, not as individuals.

Craig