ATEG Archives

October 2001

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 19:27:59 -0500
Carol:  I'm not sure why you're contrasting passive, which refers to the
voice of the verb, and description, which refers to a genre of writing--but
I'll give it a try:

First, it's not the paper that was littered.  It's the floor.

The paper was SCATTERED all over the floor.  That's certainly a description
of the floor.  The active version includes the perpetrator:

Someone scattered the paper all over the floor.

Now the floor is, indeed, littered.  But I don't think you can consider
this an instance of the linking-BE.  The paper was a mess!  That's a
linking-BE, in which MESS is the complement.

SCATTER is clearly a verb; and WAS SCATTERED is its passive form.

Martha Kolln