ATEG Archives

November 1999

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 23:38:54 -0400
Golly, Bill, I thought my explanation was straightforward too, when I
identified the structure as an absolute phrase--that is a noun followed by
a participial phrase as a modifier.  When participles modify nouns, their
relationship is a subject/predicate relationship--a  reduced clause, which
you have illustrated.  When the participle is passive (fixed) the
underlying clause is passive.

I suspect you know enough grammar to respond to Martha's analysis!

Martha