ATEG Archives

June 2004

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:15:25 -0400
I typically kvetch about this usage when it occurs on my campus, for a
couple of reasons. First, I don't think the admin people here who use
the word all the time know anything about British English, so I doubt
they're copying it. Second, I think they *do* have the idea that they
should use a longer word whenever possible, and I always try to deflate
that particular balloon. Let it go, within a couple of years you'll have
'orientationificate'. And besides, as an English prof I figure I'm
supposed to have verbal whims, as long as I don't take myself too
seriously, and annoying the admin with diction dicta gives them some
well-earned karmic payback.

Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English
Central Michigan University