ATEG Archives

February 1999

Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 13:47:03 -0600
Regarding Steve Cohen's question about the viability of teaching Latin starting
in the 3rd grade:

>Are we nuts?

I think absolutely not.  In the Middle Ages, children were taught Latin starting
at an even earlier age.  I think it's our own post-19th century notion of
children's inherent innocence that makes us feel that they aren't old enough to
learn tough subjects.  In trying to "save" them from such scary things as Latin,
however, I think we prevent them from truly making the most of the it, acquiring
the language at a time when they can really run with it.

Chris LeCluyse