ATEG Archives

January 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2009 16:22:15 -0500
   Brad did not "expose" anything, but simply tries to continue to goad me
into continuing a conversation long after I asked him to stop. That I
have failed in Brad's eyes to adequately define past perfect puts me in
pretty good company, along with the most respected grammarians of our
age. Anything different from his views is unacceptable.
   He just emailed me a message calling me many names, the most polite of
which is "jerk".
   There is, of course, nothing to "refute."
   He once told me, early on, that if I was nice to him he wouldn't
criticise my book in public. (As if his views had the power to hurt
anyone.)Put that in the context of his public criticism of both Richard
and Herb, who were both kind enough to try to talk to him privately.
   I find these tactics reprehensible and damaging to the collegial
climate we need for the list.
   If he wants to characterize that as "anger", so be it. It is as
dispassionate a view as I can come up with.

Craig   >

To be totally "open and honest", as Craig suggests, I should tell you all