ATEG Archives

January 2004

From:
Max Morenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:22:22 -0500
Don, it's interesting that you've revised Christensen's workbooks. A
lot of us owe a great deal to Christensen, most especially those of
us who played with sentence combining. He was almost as important to
the movement as Kellogg Hunt. So I have a great deal of respect for
him.

But as I remember A NEW RHETORIC (I haven't looked at it in 20 or
more years), it was a terrible disappointment. It didn't fulfill in
many ways (almost none) the promise of NOTES TOWARD A NEW RHETORIC.
Francis Christensen himself may have done some work on it, but mostly
it was completed by his wife, Bonnie.

I'd much rather see teacher ed students (or almost anyone who wants
to learn how language works in writing and literature) study Katie
Wood Ray's WONDROUS WORDS and/or WHAT YOU KNOW BY HEART.
--
Dr. Max Morenberg
Department of English