ATEG Archives

September 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 2009 15:22:05 -0400
I agree on the importance of general, broad education, but we're in a culture that wants to assess, by quantitative means, everything schools do, and it's difficult to make the case to assessment-bound sorts that knowledge is in itself good, that it doesn't have to have immediate, quantifiable benefits.

We had a long argument about that on our campus at Ball State over a state-driven, Teachers College supported unit assessment plan.  How does one quantify the learning gained from and the benefits derived from reading Jane Eyre or Lord of the Flies?  Are students better off or not for having read and struggled with Catcher in the Rye or The Wasteland?

Herb