ATEG Archives

May 2001

From:
shun Tang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2001 03:19:25 +0800
Dear Paticia,

You wrote:
> To my mind Simple would be what seems 'endless
> present time' and Progressive, the present action which
> 'has to have an end..'
> They feed the lions at quarter past two every day.

My reply: We know that when the park closes within next four years, we will
not feed them any more. At this situation, shall we use the Simple Present?
Personally, I think we do.

For another example, now I live in Hong Kong. But when I am old I will go to
Australia to live with my family. Knowing my living in HK has an end, shall
I say "I am living in Hong Kong"?

Logically, everything will have an end, which is known by normal persons. In
this case, we will not use Simple Present at all?

You seem to replace the difficulty with impossibility, replacing the
question of present with that of endless. But how to define 'endless'? How
do native English speakers predict the action is endless?

Since emails cannot handle a long discussion, you are invited to use the
following forum:
http://www.englishtense.com/forum.asp

Shun
englishtense.com