ATEG Archives

August 2010

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2010 12:15:37 -0400
Scott,

Thank you for a thoughtful, measured posting, as well as  your kind words.  I first misread your "gangster's funeral" as "grammarian's funeral," pace Browning (http://www.readbookonline.net/readOnLine/2832/).   The verses

So, with the throttling hands of death at strife,
                Ground he at grammar;
Still, thro' the rattle, parts of speech were rife:
                While he could stammer
He settled Hoti's business--let it be!--
                Properly based Oun--                    130
Gave us the doctrine of the enclitic De,
                Dead from the waist down.

seem appropriate.  Ll 130-31 require a little Greek, but the point is clear.

He was an easy man to parse.

Herb