ATEG Archives

May 2011

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2011 18:44:52 +0000
Bob:

Any theory of language that posits syntagmatic or paradigmatic choices which are conditioned by connections across sentence boundaries -- even if that's limited to pronoun reference -- is starting to address issues of text effectiveness (actually, even interclausal connections within the sentence arguably do that, but I figured you might not want to count those). Certainly, any instructors teaching a composition course and trying to assist students who are developing their ability to signal paragraph cohesion, or foregrounding and backgrounding, will find themselves discussing choice of verb tenses, pronouns, and the like. And I know that no one teaching ESL for any length of time excludes cohesion from their discussion of verb tenses.

Or to put it another way: We certainly can't say that a particular text is 100% effective -- but we're on very solid ground saying that particular texts are not as effective as they could be. I doubt you'd want to say that simply because we can't say that someone's 100% fit, we can't say anything about how someone might improve health with diet or exercise. Randomizing verb tense choice in an essay will make it ineffective. Ignoring context established earlier in the text will quite likely result in bad pronoun choices, and hence an ineffective text, etc. The work on genre that Craig mentions has extensively developed descriptions of correlations between particular linguistic choices at specific points in a text and whether the text is considered a good example of science writing, or a good example of a narrative. You may or may not view that kind of correlation as being within the domain of "grammar" -- but that's a definitional issue, and one that I doubt educators are quite so invested in.

--- Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English
Central Michigan University