ATEG Archives

May 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 09:13:41 -0400
Linda,

Certainly this misplaced apostrophe is a shibboleth, or you wouldn't have noted it, and the teacher needs to be informed.  If it's presented as a slip or a proof-reading error, it could be done in passing.

However, it's also worth noting that the modern apostrophe usage rules aren't very old, only going back to the mid 19th c.  This particular usage even has a name, at least in British usage, "the greengrocer's apostrophe," such as one might see on a store sign:  "fresh pear's".  There was some discussion of it several years back on the American Dialect Society list, and if you google it you'll find lots of discussion of it.

I'm uncomfortable with your administrative solution, as well as it might work as a transitional policy.  It seems to make the assumption that grammar is so specialized that we shouldn't expect all teachers to be competent in it.

Herb