ATEG Archives

May 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2011 16:52:18 -0400
Bob,
     I'm bobbing in and out of final grades, so I'll just give a quick
response. I really hope this time we can agree to disagree and do so
rather collegially.
    1) Biber makes it clear in a number of places that he believes these
patterns are highly functional. In order to do the work of a news story,
for example, it is typical to construe happenings (headlines and leads)
in present tense. To characterize reliability of sources, it is very
common to use a significant number of appositional phrases.  Scientific
writing is characterized by a high number of passive verb phrases
precisely because agency is often not important. You don't need to agree
with that, but it is one way of explaining the patterns we see when we
look at different genres.
    For Langacker on effectiveness, I would certainly recommend his
chapter on discourse in Cognitive Grammar (2008).  "Although discourse
is often considered a separate topic, requiring different methods and
descriptive constructs, the contrast with lower levels is at most a
matter of degree. Discourse is in fact the very basis for language
structure and is thus essential for understanding grammar" (p.457).
    Langacker covers context quite well in that chapter. It is certainly
true that meaning occurs within context. Any choice on the part of a
writer needs to be attentive to that context, including the needs of a
reader.  I don't think we disagree on that one.  Langacker uses the term
Current Discourse Space (CDS) to describe the way a sentence functions.
CDS refers to "everything presumed to be shared by the speaker and
hearer as the basis for discourse at a given moment" (p. 59), and this
clearly, in Langacker's mind, includes the preceding text. Meaning is
built through text, and language choice needs to attend to that.
    I suspect we differ mainly on the level of contribution grammar
makes to the meaning. A writer's job is to make the reader's work easy.
I certainly feel the most effective texts are interpreted in similar
ways by a large number of people.  This happens in large part because
the sentences work in harmony with each other.

Craig