ATEG Archives

May 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2006 21:43:25 -0400
Phil,
   I don't think this is an existential sentence. "Over the door were
lights." We don't need the "there."  It does sound poetic, but not
uncommon in context. "He had a beautiful door, and over the door were
lights." When the subject is the new information, it's a natural move.
   We also extrapose infinitives, also for emphasis:
   It is easy to love you.
   I find it easy to love you (extraposition in the predicate.)
>  "To love you is easy gives" us a different emphasis.

Craig

 These existential "there" sentences are not exactly for emphasis. They are