ATEG Archives

October 2004

From:
Jeanne Rodgers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:54:18 -0700
The subject does seem ambiguous at first glance, but I think it is "who"
because of the word "but."  "Who" is the subject of "does follow," so
"but thinks" seems to rely on the previous verb.  In other words, you
wouldn't say "a true thinker but thinks on his own," and you wouldn't
say "a true thinker is someone but thinks on his own."

Jeanne Rodgers