ATEG Archives

March 2004

From:
"Crow, John T" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 06:22:22 -0500
Elizabeth:

Thank you for a post that, in many ways, sings my song.

The task of theoretical linguists (Herb, et al.) is so daunting that
hundreds and hundreds of phenomenal minds working for many decades have yet
to accomplish it.  Their task is to devise some systematic representation of
the knowledge that native speakers possess that allows them to create and
understand language.  In fact, the task is so daunting that they have
decided to try to create an absolutely abstract representation first.  Such
a representation is viewed as being foundational:  one cannot continue to
build a house of language theory until it is solidly in place.  If they are
ever successful at doing so, perhaps then they will turn their attention to
devising a system that reflects how the brain actually works vis-a-vie
language, i.e., a system that reflects psychologically reality.  This final
step is, of course, the one you and I thirst for as we struggle to help
students improve their writing and pass tests that purport to measure said
ability.

Meanwhile, the fallout from the work of theoretical linguistics has had an
enormous impact on language-related problems of all sorts.  Applied
linguists are principally concerned with the psychological reality of
linguistic theory and with the application of this theory to
language-related problems.  We have MUCH better insights into the workings
of language thanks to the efforts of theoreticians.

The postings on this list are often the wranglings of theoretical linguists
as they wrestle with their mission.  However, I have found many of the
postings on this listserv to be phenomenally useful as I struggle with how
best to teach composition.  When a post delves into areas that don't scratch
where I itch, I just move on to the next one.

I applaud your approach to grammar in the composition classroom:  functional
terminology and, in your own words, ". . . only those elements of grammar
that actually affect how well a writer can produce the standard English
their situation calls for."  This is _exactly_ what I am doing.  My hero,
BTW, is Rei Noguchi.  If you haven't read _Grammar and the Teaching of
Writing_, another NCTE publication, I highly recommend it.

Finally, your belief that this listserv is exclusively for college teachers
of English is false.  It is intended for grammar concerns at all levels.
The problem is that K-12 classroom teachers are reluctant to participate
actively.  However, things will never change unless people like you roll up
their sleeves and jump in.  And your observation that color-coding of
sentences is too childish for college.  Anything that works hits a homerun
in my book.  I, like Herb, would be interested in seeing how it works.

This list needs people like you who are willing to advocate for K-12
teachers.  I would encourage you not to leave, but to come out swinging. . .
.

John