ATEG Archives

December 1998

From:
"Wollin, Edith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 08:24:44 -0800
I too use or at least hear and know  "grin like a Cheshire cat" and
"carrying coals to Newcastle."  However, I would not use it in the same way
as Gordon says--taking flowers to someone who has a big flower garden is
like carrying coals to Newcastle,  maybe taking a copy of a memo to the
person who wrote it would be like carrying coals to Newcastle.  I think you
need to include the act of bring something somewhere before you use the
term.
I have never even heard of fighting like a Kilkenny cat.  And I don't
Gordon's meaning of "something that won't keep" here in Washington state
either.  Soft drinks are pop here or used to be before we had such an influx
of people from other parts of the country!
One of my favorite ones from the South that I just learned in the last two
years is "that dog won't hunt" meaning something like that is an idea that
you won't get people to believe--that bird won't fly!