ATEG Archives

November 1999

From:
Robert Einarsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:32:29 -0700
I believe that Ed's point is that we have a tendency to do more
talking than listening (or, in my case, more shouting).

Ed is frustrated at having assembled an extensive web site, and
having nobody look into it in a fair and serious way.

Ed Vavra's grammar program is self-contained and beautifully
presented:

http://www2.pct.edu/courses/evavra/ED498/SP/index.htm

Any k to 12 teacher who needs grammar curriculum can simply
plug into this web site and there it is, ready to go.  It is
undoubtedly an effective and self-explanatory program, and it
bespeaks dedicated labour (something we on this list are all
familiar with).  He says that the site is generating some activity.
Good.

And we have other curriculum as well.

Rebecca Wheeler's "Language Alive in the Classroom" takes
grammar instruction in the direction of discovery activities.  What
could be better than a creative set of "grammar sleuth" activities for
kids in school?  No harm done there.

Most interesting to me, Johanna Rubba's project will use linguistics
to renew instructional grammar. This project is going to be a real
development in the instructional grammar, historically viewed.

And Martha Kolln's books have been accurately praised on this list -
- her chapters open up a "world" known as grammatical structure.

Ed!  I have no feedback for you!  Your web site is clear,
comprehensive, literary, functional.   I hope that it continues to
drum up activitiy as you mentioned.

We have a subject to teach and many ways to teach it.  We might
even have an education system that is starting to want it again.

R.E.