ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Frans De Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 01:16:02 +0200
Bob,
Yes, exactly. That's how I more or less explain it to my kids, except I still
gather a list under modals in pairs
can/could
will/would etc

and add the Roman Figures ( my preference) I,II,III,IV
above Modal+ INF,Have + EN,BE + ING and MV. I also have under BE+ING, BE+EN to
cover passive .
I to IV is always a chain reaction, no matter how many of them are present. As
this is the set order they must appear in
 only one element from 'I' can  be used and only in that position. There's no way
to produce IV+I  or I+I. So out come the substitutes.

I also use a 'TIme Line', some classes called it Time Tunnel, to gather
expressions of time/ tenses in their relation to each other. This is too difficult
to depict in a mail.something like ( This looks crazy but it's better on a chalk
board!)

<^O<-->l-->
O= Past ED
l= Pres
<^= past perfect
<--> pres perf /option <--< pres perf prog.
--> expressions for future
which believe it or not  helps them to place differences in relationships.
he wore those socks for ten years O!
But thank goodness a distance from l
he has worn those socks for ten years <-->up to l! Critical
he has been wearing those socks for ten years<---<reaching into l = he's still
wearing them.We now vacate the room.

Under, l ,for present,+O,for past, the simple and progressive can be 'sketched'
in.I  use lllllllllll = simple = repetions or actions in a row etc
and a wavy line with an 'X' at the beginning and end sort of XUUUX
This has a definite beginning and hopefully an end.One class called it the 'blub'
tense, because it can 'blub' up bubble like in a time line.
I have just glanced at the Topic above, where the word accuracy  strikes me, and
at my clock, which strikes 1 hour after midnight. So for the sake of accuracy and
beauty sleep I will leave off here and take more time to formulate the
difficulties of black board visuals into words at a later date -  if this is at
all possible.

with apologies
Patsi Reeve-De Becker

( will I be struck off the list?)