ATEG Archives

April 2005

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 15:25:47 -0700
Sorry, Ed, you can't teach someone how language works without discussing
things like features and phonemes and phonological processes. These are
important in early language development and they influence things like
whether children master literacy or not; they allow teachers to
understand why children perform as they do in school. They also give
future teachers a clear understanding of how English spelling works and
why it is the way it is; they also learn to what degree phonics
instruciton is scientifically accurate. You also have to teach about
language acquisition, because popular myth is so wrong about that. You
can teach this stuff by giving students examples of child language, but
if they don't know linguistic/grammatical terminology, they can't talk
about what the kids are doing, and the specifically linguistic concepts
are necessary to understand what is going on.
And again, the teaching credential standards refer to the exact
linguistic terminology.

What I said they couldn't do was parse fluently after ten weeks of
instruction. Most of them learn to parse well enough to perform on a
test. Whether they retain that knowledge and expand on it or not is up
to them. Few of them come in with enough grammatical analysis skills to
independently describe the various sentence and phrase structures they
would find in schoolchildren's writing, as a course term project. They
would need a course that focuses fully on grammar for that, and they
haven't had one when they come into my classroom. And they don't get in
my classroom, as I pointed out in previous posts.

A linguistics course for teachers is intended, in part, to change the
student's mindset about language in significant ways so that they have
an accurate understanding of language instead of the virtual nonsense
that most people believe about language. It's more global than helping
them improve their writing. There's nothing wrong with helping students
improve their writing, but that is not the goal of the courses I teach.

Johanna Rubba   Associate Professor, Linguistics
English Department, California Polytechnic State University
One Grand Avenue  • San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Tel. (805)-756-2184  •  Fax: (805)-756-6374 • Dept. Phone.  756-2596
• E-mail: [log in to unmask] •      Home page:
http://www.cla.calpoly.edu/~jrubba