ATEG Archives

December 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 2009 08:39:08 -0500
I don't question that there are costs involved in accommodating other languages, but I think it's a cost worth bearing, that it pays for itself in keeping access to services more open and in increasing general civility.  However, I've rarely seen the economic case made as  you have made it.  The case has generally been more nationalist.  Every semester for fifteen years I had my undergrad Language and Society students conduct an in-class debate for which they formed teams and researched the issues in some depth.  The economic side of it rarely came up as a major argument, and when it did it was easily countered.  Students who were assigned the con side of the argument for making English the official language were able to argue that there were greater costs incurred by not providing multilingual services.  The students were, by the way, assigned a side, and at the beginning of the project few of them were even aware that the issue existed.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University