ATEG Archives

May 2000

From:
"Kathleen M. Ward" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 09:19:08 -0700
I wish I were as sanguine as Bill is.  Unfortunately, I have every
reason to believe the kid is being quite accurate.  My experience is
that misidentifying an of-phrase as passive voice is only one
end-admittedly, possibly the more egregious end-of a continuum.

I teach a couple of "the English language for potential English
teachers" courses. Inevitably, while I am engaged in this process,
several students will come into my office hours to have the comments
on paper they've written for other courses  "translated." These are
upper-division English courses, and, on this campus, every one of
them is taught by a Ph.D. in English.  (I'm in Linguistics.  Maybe
that's why they feel safe in asking.) And I cannot tell you the
howlers I've seen.  I've seen "dangling modifier" written next to
everything from a faulty word choice to a preposed modifier that
violates the "given-new convention."  I've also seen it written next
to sentences that were grammatically impeccable.  All I could
conclude is that the person doing the marking had not the faintest
idea about what a dangling modifier actually is.

Now, I am the first to admit that what we say to students is not
necessarily what they hear.  But I have seen really ghastly
misapprehensions about sentence structure *in writing*.

So my question stands:  is this degree of grammatical innocence now
normal among composition and literature teachers?  Or have I just
happened on an unusual group?

Kathleen Ward