ATEG Archives

September 2009

From:
Edgar Schuster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:09:31 -0400
Craig,

Anyone who uses that second "definition" will be calling one heck of a
lot of fragments sentences.  In my research of all the essays
published in "Best American Essays" of 2001 and 2003, I found that
about ten percent of all units that began with a capital letter and
ended with a period were fragments.  And I did NOT count and dialog,
any imperatives, or any "verb understood" constructions  (e.g., "He
would if he could.")  Had I counted these, the number of fragments
would have been considerably higher.  As I recall, of the 50 or so
authors represented, only four did not use fragments.

Ed S