ATEG Archives

April 2005

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:09:24 -0400
Ed,

You're perfectly correct that everything I mentioned can be taught
without highly abstract linguistic terminology. But very little of what
I and other linguists on the list have been pushing for is drawn from
the full Arcanum of linguistics -- it's the nuts and bolts stuff.
"Subordination" *is* a linguistic term. And with phonology and
morphology, most of what we're talking about is material like "prefixes
and suffixes," or "consonant clusters." I certainly have no objection to
adopting simpler terms -- hence my use of "clumping" rather than
"constituency."

If your fear is that linguists will automatically expect K-12 teachers
to start firing off terms like "asyndetic parataxis" or "INFL
saturation," rest assured that we won't (well, I can't rule out some
fringe cases wanting to, but we needn't accommodate them). Keep in mind
that the terms used in discussions for putting together a list of
desiderata can be quite different from the terms actually used with the
K-12 students themselves.

As for practical methods for getting students to the point where they
can have the kinds of discussions we'd love to have, I think having
activities in the early grades in which students actively investigate
and talk about language will help *even if these activities don't always
conform to most people's ideas of "grammar" work.* If we think about
this as an issue of "Language structure awareness" instead of just
"grammar," we may be moving in the right direction -- not that grammar
as a subject is a bad thing, but it comes with so much baggage that the
term itself tends to lead educators to think about the subject only in
very narrow ways.

Oh -- and I have to admit that I made "INFL saturation" up (as far as I
know). It just sounded so nicely intimidating and pseudoscience-y.

Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English
Central Michigan University