ATEG Archives

May 2006

From:
高橋 美津子 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 07:05:11 +0900
> I have been a passive member of this Listserv for some time, and I
> suspect this topic has been covered before,
This is my first posting

>  My suspicion is that she just doesn't want to teach grammar
I fully agree with you.
I have seen some evidence that the instructors themselves don't know
grammar.

Here is what you could use.

Rod Ellis' recent overview of the research from the TESOL Quarterly.

Here's the beginning of the conclusion:
Grammar has held and continues to hold a central place in language
teaching. The zero grammar approach was flirted with but never really
took hold, as is evident in both the current textbook materials
emanating
from publishing houses (e.g., Whitney & White, 2001) and in current
theories of L2 acquisition. There is ample evidence to demonstrate that
teaching grammar works.

<http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/tesol/tq/
2006/00000040/00000001/art00005>

Mitsuko