ATEG Archives

January 2011

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2011 09:35:30 -0800
Herb,

I agree with you that younger students can productively be introduced to
the concept of aspect through the medium of the progressive, but I'm
less convinced that it's a helpful discussion to have (among younger
students at least) for the perfect.

The perfect is a fuzzy amalgam that straddles the border between tense
and aspect. Teasing out the distinctions would also require introducing
students to the notion of other verb forms being perfective or
imperfective (and, indeed, the perfect itself as being imperfective
sometimes).

And then there's the terminological split among the major grammars:
those that follow Quirk et alia call the perfect an aspect, but the CGEL
treats it a secondary tense and reserves the label of aspect for the
progressive alone.

A thorough discussion of the reasons for choosing one scheme or another
would be fascinating, but probably beyond even what most college classes
could handle.

Karl