ATEG Archives

May 2004

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 09:14:31 -0400
Johanna,
    It's nice to have an idea so well echoed.  For those of us not aware
of the Mick Short book, is it recent?  Easily available?  Who's the
publisher?
    Many of my grammar students are now handing in grammatical analysis
papers as one option for their final, and it's neat to see how much can
happen with even a single semester's preparation. Their options are
Robert Frost's "Acquainted With the Night" or the first two paragraphs
of James Baldwin's essay on "The Creative Process." When done well, a
close look at how it means brings us deeply into the heart of what it
means, since the meaning is certainly built in and through the grammar.
     If Bill wants to copy  posts to another list, he has my permission.
 If these people are genuinely interested in deepening their
understanding of the subject and not simply trying  to wish it away,
perhaps we can set up a conversation.

Craig