ATEG Archives

November 2004

From:
Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:01:38 -0500
Thanks, Herb.  That definition makes a lot of sense.

Another question: would an impressionistic spelling be considered eye
dialect if there's no social class judgement attached?

I'm thinking of a movie review I just read for _The Polar Express_.
The reviewer quotes Tom Hanks as the train conductor asking, "Well?
Y'comin?"  Since the conductor character is the "wise mentor" of the
movie, and since the review was highly favorable, I don't think
disapproval was implied.  However, after listening to the line pretty
carefully, I also don't think Hanks pronounces "you coming" any
differently than anyone else I know would.

(As it happens, my husband and I had a big debate about whether or not
the reviewer transcribed the line correctly, so we were BOTH listening
for it.  I don't know what this says about the quality of our marital
conversations, but anyway . . . .)

Would we only call something "eye dialect" if we believe it involves
social class judgement--which I guess means primarily negative
judgement?

I'm asking because I think "eye dialect" is a really useful concept and
I want to make sure I "get it" before I start flinging the term around
with students and colleagues.

Beth

Beth Rapp Young
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~byoung

University of Central Florida
From Promise to Prominence: Celebrating 40 Years.

Beth,

"Eye dialect" is a term for the impressionistic use of spelling to
give
the impression of a non-standard dialect.  One of the frequent results
is spellings like "bin" for "been" and "wuz" for "was".  Another is
the
use of "-in'" for "-ing", where this variation is socially
conditioned,
more common among men than among women, but used to some extent by
most
speakers of English.  What counts is one's degree of formality at the
moment, not one's dialect or cultural background.  I don't know of an
English speaker who doesn't pronounce these words in these ways, but
the
eye dialect spelling isn't after sound as much as it's after social
class judgments.

Herb